Go to Top

King Air Training – Frequently Asked Questions

Does FlyRight's training meet insurance company requirements?

Yes, and FlyRight is approved by every major insurance underwriter. We recommend you talk with your insurance broker about training provider options. Insurance brokers and underwriters prefer motion-based (Level-A, B, C or D) simulators and experienced instructors. If they already know FlyRight they probably love us, if not, we’d be happy to talk with them.

Can I use my GI Bill benefits for my training?

Yes. Almost all of our training programs are approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for GI Bill Benefits education reimbursement. This includes King Air Initial and Recurrent training and also ATP add-ons to our King Air programs. If you are a veteran with GI Bill benefits this is a great way to transition into civilian flying!

Who are the major aviation insurance underwriters?

USAIG, AIG, Global, US Specialty, Phoenix, WBrown, CVStarr, Allianz. Each has their own review process for training programs, and several are also regularly advised by their network of agents and brokers. Work with your broker and let them know you are interested in training with FlyRight. All of the underwriters and most of the brokers are familiar with our program – but don’t hesitate to have your broker call us if they have any questions about our training.

What’s a 142 Training Center and why should I care?

A 142 Training Center is the FAA designation for an advanced pilot training center. A “142 Training Center” certification from the FAA is the absolute highest level of training accreditation from the FAA and indicates the training center has jumped through the hoops necessary to make the FAA happy. It means the training center has proven to the FAA that it has the policies, procedures, employee training, equipment and management necessary to operate at the highest level. A 142 Training Center is the training equivalent of a Part-135 or Part-121 operator, and that typically means a higher quality standard and higher level training equipment.

If the training company isn’t a 141 or 142 Training Center then the FAA doesn’t recognize the business for its training. That’s not necessarily bad, because there are plenty of excellent CFI’s and CFII’s out there who can provide great training. But the business can’t sign off any FARs – it’s up to the CFI or CFII and their quality control and understanding of the regulations (see discussion below about the IPC).

Who are FlyRight's Instructors?

Only high-time pilots with significant teaching and professional piloting experience. Although full-motion simulation is a major benefit to training, it can all be wasted without quality instructors. We focus on pilots who enjoy instructing – and that means an engaging personality and desire to see their students improve.

What’s up with training equipment – I see all sorts of terms thrown around like “visual motion” and “full-motion”?

The FAA is crystal clear when it comes to training equipment – both what it is called, and what it can be used to train and check. The FAA has a specific division that does nothing but evaluate simulators and high-level training devices, and they work with the FAA to determine what maneuvers each level of training device is appropriate for training. In FAA-speak the term “simulator” applies only to devices that are full motion and are rated Level-A/B/C/D. Anything that isn’t a “letter” qualified device (ie. A/B/C/D) is a Flight Training Device, or FTD. FTD ratings start at level 7 (higher fidelity) and go down to level 1 and A-ATD and B-ATD (lower fidelity). Be careful of the marketing terms some operators use – words like “motion visual” – that means it isn’t a simulator and they’re trying to convince you that the visual can be “felt”. Ask the important question – what is it’s FAA certification level? If it’s high-level equipment they’ll be proud to tell you. If it’s a low-end training device that doesn’t meet FAA standards for doing ALL of your training they’ll likely gloss over the FAA certification level. If they can’t legally give an IPC in their simulator, then why are they using it to train circle-to-land approaches, crosswind landings or missed approaches? Negative training is a real concern – don’t make the mistake of thinking your training is preparing you for an emergency if it really isn’t.

Does Flyright offer an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) during my training? I've heard of other training companies that are no longer able to offer an IPC.

Yes, you can get your IPC sign-off during initial, recurrent or IPC training with FlyRight. The FAA will only approve Level-B/C/D full motion simulators for 100% of an IPC, and we operate a wonderful level-C King Air simulator.

Just because you can’t do an IPC in an FTD doesn’t mean A-ATDs, B-ATDs and level -6 FTDs aren’t good equipment – some are very good – it’s just that they are not appropriate for performing all of required maneuvers for an IPC. And we believe the newly issued (January 2010) PTS is likely to be amended to disallow Level-B simulators for a complete IPC – there’s conflicting guidance within the PTS Appendix 1 table, and it’s unlikely the FAA intended to allow landings to be performed in a Level-B simulator (because Level-B simulators aren’t designed to train landings – they have no toe brakes and very limited ground data models).

So, if you want or need an IPC and you are considering a training provider that uses anything less than an FAA-approved Level-B/C/D simulator, the FAA mandates that you perform some of the required maneuvers in an actual airplane. There are, occasionally, training businesses and CFII’s who advertise full IPC’s in something other than a Level-C or level-D simulator. We recommend you check with your local FAA office before relying on their marketing. There are a few older training devices that received letters of authorization from FAA, but the FAA no longer issues those letters because the IPC requirements have been clarified regarding required maneuvers and the innappropriateness of FTDs for performing all the required maneuvers.

The FAA provides very clear guidance on the applicability of training devices for IPC’s: The Instrument Rating Practical Test Standard (PTS) covers the requirements for the IPC, inlcuding mandated maneuvers (beginning on page 1-vii, or page 30 of the PDF, and the table for FTD and simulator eligible maneuvers is in Appendix 1. Some trainers may point to a Letter of Authorization from the FAA indicating they are approved for such training, but you should double check that letter:

1. Ensure it was issued AFTER the latest version of the PTS (8081-4e issued January 2010). The PTS language regarding required IPC maneuvers changed with the -4d (March 2004) publication, and even the manufacturer will tell you that the equipment can no longer be used for 100% of the IPC. Call the manufacturer and ask the direct question – can the “model x” be used for 100% of an IPC?.

2. Ensure it says 100% of the maneuvers for the IPC. If it simply states that it may be used for the IPC that means the training device may be used for some of the maneuvers but not necessarily all of them.

3. What does the letter actually authorize? Is it authorizing the training center to perform the IPC in the training device? Unless the business is a Part-142 or Part-141 training center, it will not authorize them to do anything – it merely states what the equipment was deemed eligible to do at the time of issuance. 90% of the businesses that advertise King Air pilot training are not FAA-approved training businesses – it’s the CFII that will sign off the IPC and you should ask him or her these questions.

4. If the business or CFII says the PTS isn’t regulatory or legally binding, or they aren’t required to do a Circle-to-Land maneuver, or something like that, you should run, not walk, to a qualified CFII who actually reads FAA guidance. Regulations (ie. FARs) and Standards (ie. PTS) are both legal and binding (ask the CFII if he thinks it’s okay to ignore the FARs, and why he thinks they would be treated differently by an NTSB judge). It is the LAW, and it is described in the US Statute for Title 49 – click here for a link to the section and exact language – it’s under “Statute” “A. General Authority”…

For additional guidance on the subject you can read the FAA Aviation News from January/February 2005 discussing the changes (see pages 19 and 24). That link is a large file – if you prefer to just read that article it is available here.

I’ve heard about King Air 200 Type Ratings – what’s up with that?

A few things – in many parts of the world (Europe, India, China, etc.) the dividing line between “type rated” and no type rating required is very different from the US FAA. For example, in India ALL planes are type rated. That’s right – a 152 requires a type rating (though there is also a “generic” type for some single-engine planes). The King Air 200 is type rated in many countries – either by virtue of its weight, the fact that it is multi-engine, or just that every plane is typed.

Also, there are a few B200’s that have special certificates to operate over 12,500 lbs, and those planes require a type rating to operate. The US military often operates their version of the B200 at weights up to 14,000 lbs. It’s possible to operate a B200 in the US at weights over 12,500 – but it would be restricted to air surveillance or other very limited uses…

Does FlyRight offer training to foreign nationals and pilots certified by other governments?

FlyRight does offer King Air training to non-US and non-FAA pilots. Because FlyRight’s program is FAA approved it may be recognized by other/foreign agencies. We have trained pilots from several foreign countries and different nationalities. However, a few relevant issues are:

English language proficiency is a requirement, or a translator will be necessary. We have organized a translator for our customers, but ultimately you will want to be very comfortable with the translator – they will be with you for every minute of your training and you will hire them directly.  We also have Spanish speaking instructors available upon special request (and additional costs).

In-aircraft training. Some foreign government agencies (namely Indian DGCA) require 5 to 10 hours of in-aircraft training. Although we don’t believe it is necessary (do they require 5 or 10 hours of in-aircraft training for a Boeing 747?) FlyRight can arrange for in-aircraft experience – it is very expensive. It will cost approximately $1,300 per hour required IN ADDITION to FlyRight’s training program cost.

TSA and Homeland Security Requirements. If you are a citizen of the USA, TSA approval to train is not necessary. Instead the TSA requires US Citizens to prove their citizenship by presenting a valid US passport *or* a photo ID plus government-issued birth certificate to train. If you are not a U.S. citizen (includes resident aliens) you must obtain TSA approval for flight training well ahead of your training start date. The process can be lengthy, so beginning immediately is advised. TSA training categories differ depending on several variables. If you are unsure of your training category, please call. There is a TSA link in your pre-enrollment survey, or you can go here: https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov

See our page regarding TSA approval here.

FOR 135 OPERATORS: What is required to get our POI to approve us to use your Training Center and instructors / check airman?

Althought the process looks daunting at first glance, it really isn’t that onerous. As you’d expect there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be approved by your POI, but FlyRight will provide you with a detailed overview of the process, including a checklist and the “template” of forms and other necessary paperwork. In addition to approving the facilities, contract check airman, and drug testing programs, you and your POI will focus on the training FlyRight instructors (your contract instructors and check airman) have received, and the curriculum they will be teaching to your pilots. We will work with your Chief Pilot or Director of Operations to perform a “Curriculum Comparison” between your existing King Air curriculum and our curriculum. To the extent there are any differences we will build a “Briefing Guide” for the contract instructors to ensure they are always taught in accordance with your approved training program. Bottom line- FlyRight will work with you to satisfy the requirements set forth by your POI.

FOR 135 OPERATORS: Will my POI approve your training if I operate a C90? What about a B100?

The short answer is – they might.  Prior to an amendment of FAA 8900 Modification 8900.1, 3-1073 on November 23, 2014</a>, the FAA said that all King Air 90′s, 99′s, 100′s and 200s were an “equivalent series”, and POI’s generally accepted FlyRight’s FAA approved differences training for each of these aircraft. The guidance was clear that 100% of the training and checking for any of these aircraft can be done in a level-C/D simulator of any of the aircraft in the series.  Following publication of the more restrictive guidance referenced above, the FAA has gutted the language that allowed King Air training in equivalent series simulators to meet 135 requirements.  We are aware of 135 Operators that are seeking deviations for what they feel is inappropriate guidance, but we aren’t optimistic that the rule will be overturned any time soon.  Feel free to contact us to discuss the issue.